This post may look and sound toxic, but I AM CANDIDLY SHARING MY EXPERIENCES of the past 13 years. OF COURSE, I AM EXPECTING MANY BRICKBATS AND I PROMISE YOU, I WILL NOT REACT 🙂
This post may look and sound toxic, but I AM CANDIDLY AND PAINFULLY SHARING MY EXPERIENCES of the past 13 years.
My intention is that every brand manager should do a self-reflection and be the Type j. Brand Manager.
IN THIS PROCESS, IF I HAVE HURT SOMEONE INADVERTENTLY, PLEASE DO EXCUSE AND OFFER MY REGRETS BEFORE HAND.
I have come across different kinds of brand managers in Pharma India. They are:
- Excel Sheet Brand Managers. They spend a lot of time working on Excel Sheets, manipulating here, manipulating there – till they reach a target figure given to them by the owner of the company. AND THEN THEY WORK AND REWORK.
- Gift Procurement Brand Managers. A great deal of time is spent in calling suppliers, calling them to the head office, negotiating the price – doing every job which a Purchase / Material Manager is supposed to do. The Purchase / Material Manager is rendered redundant.
- Visual Aid Brand Managers. More than 75% of their time is spent on writing copies, copy-pasting, writing long detailing notes – which neither the field staff uses nor the doctors listen.
- Travel Agent Brand Managers. 90% of their time is spent in finding air travel schedules to Geneva, Amsterdam or other such exotic destinations for their KOLs / KBLs. They find out the best hotels in those countries and often travel with the so called KOLs to these destinations to ‘serve loyal doctors’. They may not be able to write a POSITIONING STATEMENT but they will be able to tell you three to five travel and stay options in Amsterdam Paris or Stockholm.
- Cycle Meeting Brand Managers. Half their time is spent attending monthly cycle meetings – often replicating the job of a field sales manager.
- Sales Closing Brand Managers. They often spend time talking to stockists, field sales managers C&Fs and so on – on behalf of the company owners.
- The CRM Brand Manager. He is not only the Type d. brand manager, but also closely liaisons with the KOLs and KBLs finding out their needs and catering their needs and foibles.
- The Telephone Operator Brand Manager. After the ritual of the HO Sales Review Meeting he will call all the medical representatives, field managers and try to find the reason for the debacle of his brand/s. The poor field sales are inundated with calls from morning to evening for the next one week after the sales review meeting. In case the field team mate does not immediately respond, he is talked to very rudely – forgetting he may be driving or in a doctors call. BUT THEY WILL HAVE A LOT OF RELUCTANCE TO WORK IN THE FIELD OR MEET DOCTORS OR LEAVE THE COMFORTS OF THE OFFICE.
- Then there is the Designer+Visualizer – Brand Manager. He spends 60% of the time next to the designers/visualizers table telling him (a product of JJ School of Art, Bandra School of Art, NID etc) on how to design, choose colors, balance etc., etc. In the process they waste 100% of the time of designers/visualizers APART FROM HINDERING THEIR CREATIVITY.
In the process, these brand managers are not left with any time to analyze, think critically, innovate, bring in some new thoughts.
And finally, there is one type of brand manager before whom I bow down my head. He is:
- The Brand-Brand Manager. He is the genuine brand manager who spends his time analysing, thinking critically, innovating, trying to find a BLUE OCEAN in their portfolio. They are the ones who are highly respected and loved by all. They have only one goal – to make their brand a BRAND LEADER – using cGood Marketing Practices.
They spend time analysing CMarc / SMSRC Rx data, convert it information and then do a brand audit!
They spend time in finding out an opportunity for a Blue Ocean!
Once again – I bow down my head before them!
THEY ARE THE EFFECTIVE PRESIDENTS, VICE-PRESIDENTS & CEOS of tomorrow.
Please do some self-reflection and become a Brand-Brand Manager.